[cups.general] Two schools sharing network and printservers. How tochoose which printers appears where.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 15 07:06:18 PST 2006

Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
> - How can I implement a CUPS solution where 1 CUPS server is shared
> among teachers in school A and school B, but teachers in school A sees
> only printers in school A and vice versa. I have tested CUPS in my

You can certainly do this, however it will be a lot of extra work;
the easiest change you can make is to use a different port for each
school, such that students use port 631 and teachers port 632 (or
something along those lines).  You can grant teachers access to
student printers by using BrowsePoll and BrowseRelay to the student's
cupsd.

(FWIW, CUPS 1.1.x is pretty dumb about two printers with the same
name and address but different port numbers, so avoid using the same
names if you use the poll+relay method; CUPS 1.2 automatically handles
it...)