Cups and lpd - eating jobs, printer stopped

motionseverywhere at gmx.net motionseverywhere at gmx.net
Wed Feb 15 07:39:23 PST 2006

tested with Suse 9.2/cups 1.1.21 and Suse10 Prof/cups 1.1.23:
cups configured to print to external printserver (different brands tested like sercom, planet, intel)

Printer itself are most of the time off-line/out of paper, when the print jobs are started (due to the workflow in the office and shipping department). After xx minutes the necessary document are inserted into the printer

Error happening:
*nothing printed (jobs just eaten by cups, jobs are gone and cups printer is still enabled)
*nothing printed, because the cups printer has been stopped (red status in the web admin page)

So it looks cups is unable to handle lpd targets, which are offline.

i can reproduce this problem here on two different systems.

As the printer is offline, error_log says after 300secs:  [Job 6] Remote host did not respond with data status byte after 300 seconds!
and the print job is gone

Any idea how to get this fixed/circumvented?

In the second case I have to run a cron job EVERY minute to restart the stopped printers.
Any idea to prevent that? I already made some tests with
URI: lpd://buero1/l1?reserve=yes+timeout=3600
but still no luck.