Cups and lpd - eating jobs, printer stopped

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Feb 15 12:48:58 PST 2006

Dear Johannes,
thanks for your quick reply.
I digged through the mentioned documents and couldn't find anything really solving my problems.
the lpd printing is fine, IF the printers stay online. But as they are most of the time offline/paper-out I'm in this trouble.

I digged again in the web and found two possible solutions
1. use direct port printing in jetdirect style URI: socket://pserver:9010; I'm actually testing it and it doesn't seem to timeout or disable the printer; but I'll have to see, how that config behaves in my customers daily usage
2. check this http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html; this cups-lpd behaviour on non-available printers seems to be known and this backend-error-handler seems to fix that.