Dynamic Spool Allocation

ashley at qtac.edu.au ashley at qtac.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 20:14:39 PST 2006

i've had a request from the boss to change our already existing cups server. I've dealt very little with CUPS over the years and am looking for some help.

What we want to do is have all the windows machines printing to a 'queue', these would be labeled something like 'stationery','letterheads' blah blah and once a user prints to a queue, it sits on the server and waits for the queue to be assigned to a printer.

There's a long story as why we want this but i'm not going to get into it, it's really irrelevant.

Does cups have the capabilities of doing this?

I realise jobs can be moved from printer to printer but i want the print jobs to sit on the server if the queue is not assigned to a printer.

Also need to work out some kind of account management - printer quotas. Can cups do this? (we use OpenLDAP)