page ejects on epson dot matrix printer

MarkA manthony at stopspam.net
Thu Feb 16 07:05:07 PST 2006

OK, this is getting serious.

In a nutshell, I am trying to get an Epson dot matrix printer to
understand that a 'page eject' signal should advance to the top of the
next label on a strip of 3.5 x 1 inch tractor fed labels, and NOT advance
11 inches.

My setup:  OS: Xandros 3.0, KDE Desktop, Epson LQ-570e 24 pin dot matrix
printer, parallel port, trying to print on continuous tractor fed adhesive
labels, 3.5 x 1 inch.

I tried adding a definition for "Label" in the Epson PPD file.  When I
print a cups test page, I get the usual test page, squeezed onto a 3.5 x 1
inch space, followed by an 11 inch page eject.

When trying to print a series of labels, only the first label prints,
followed by an 11 inch page eject, then nothing.  Looking at the printer
with the browser interface gives the message "Processing page 2", but
nothing happens.  I have not yet installed the 'backend error handler', as
recommended on the linuxprinting.org site, but I'm hoping to teach the
printer not to consider wanting to print more than one page as an error
condition.

WRT the debug output from the cups server, the filters invoked are:
texttops, pstops, pstoraster, rastertoepson.  Next comes several pages of
output, including lines with "PageSize = " strings, some of which are
correct for the job at hand; others are not.

So, is there a place where I need to define how far to advance the tractor
on a 'page eject' signal for the Epson?  How do I do that?

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)