[cups.general] Shorten delay between print request and actual printing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 08:26:05 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 10:25, Leon Goldman wrote:
>Is there a way to shorten the delay that is occuring from when I
> request something be printed in an application and when the actual
> printing begins? Right now it takes up to 2 minutes which, when I am
> sitting there, seems like a lifetime. This was not the case before
> for me.

This delay is an artifact of the modern GDI printer.  Even raw text has
to be converted to gfx image format that can then be fed thru
ghostscript in order to convert it into a rasterized gfx image of the
original text.  AFAIK, the only way around that is to get a printer
that understands postscript, but then the lag is offloaded to the
printer, and you are still waiting for the output while the file is
being rendered.