Getting the list of available printers/classes - from Pure Python?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Fri Feb 17 07:11:17 PST 2006

Hi!

I'd like to get hold of the list of available printers from a python
program, without using a C extension (that is, I don't want to link to
the standard cups C libraries). The reason for not linking to the C
libraries is that it's much harder to distribute the software when it
needs C extensions (which are python-version-specific, IIRC).

Any ideas on this? Is there a binary always present on a host with
CUPS installed I can run and parse output from? Should I talk directly
to CUPS on 127.0.0.1:631 and issue a IPP request?

Thanks,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio AB                    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00