Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...never goes away

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Feb 18 03:30:00 PST 2006

"Pat H. Minatra" wrote:

> We have just brought up a Linux Red Had 4.0 server using CUPS v.1.1.22 and are having a slight problem in that several of the print queues will have the following information AFTER printing to them:
>
> Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...
>
> This information is gotten by using the following command:
>
> lpstat -t | grep printer | more
>
> The ONLY way I have been able to make this go away is by issuing the following two commands:
>
> /usr/bin/disable AWDLT2
> And then
> /usr/bin/enable AWDLT2
>
> (where AWDLT2 is my print queue name).
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
>
> I have been unable to track anything down via the CUPS website or other searches.
>
> Thank you for any help.  Please feel free to respond to my email address of pminatra at hsutx.edu.
>
> Thanks again.  Pat H. Minatra  02.17.06

This message comes from the socket backend and indicates that the socket shutdown (which is
initiated by the backend) did not succeed within, I think, 90 seconds. I suspect that the printer
does not behave soundly.

As a workaround, you may use a backend wrapper script (see linuxprinting.org; I've forgotten the
name of this script).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke