Migration to Broadcast only

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Feb 21 07:01:21 PST 2006

> > b. The servers Broadcast function follow the same rule as the
> > client's polling function. That is, it uses Broadcast interval to
> > send out updates to the network. Setting the interval to a low
> > setting, say very five minutes, will have an effect on CPU use on the
> > client. Setting it to a higher setting, say every 60 minutes, will
> > mean that changes will not be available to the clients until the
> > update starts again.

> Correct, however in CUPS 1.2 we actually save the remote printers
> between runs.  A user that reboots their system will immediately have
> the full list of printers available (no waiting after the initial
> discovery)

I'm sorry I don't think I understand this correctly.

When you "save the remote printers between runs" I presume you mean
the printers list on the client during an update(polling/broadcast)?

Is that mean that only new addition or printer changes(attributes,
status, etc) are sent back to the client for each cycle and NOT the
entire printers list?

If that's the case, CPU load per update on the client will be a lot
lower than how it is today.

Thanks,
Angel