[cups.general] Printer stopped:

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 21 07:09:37 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 08:35, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>Use the following little script:
>
>http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html

I made this sample:
lpadmin -p lp0 -E -v beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82
into a 5 line script starting with the usual #!/bin/bash,
changed the cupsd.conf "Location /admin" section to AuthType None,
SIGHUP'd cupsd and exec'd the script,
where each of the 4 lines changed only the lp0, lp1 etc.

The script returned no errors.

From the cups error_log:
E [23/Jan/2006:09:12:56 -0500] restart_job: job #1292 cannot be restarted - no files!
E [21/Feb/2006:09:10:35 -0500] add_printer: bad device-uri attribute 'beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82'!

But a repeat run did not error in the log???

Humm, my firefox homepage is the cups front page, printers,
all 4 of them now report in the status line:

Location: coyote.coyote.den
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

Location: coyote.coyote.den
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

Location: coyote.coyote.den
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

Location: coyotes dens
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

Humm, looks like I need to fix that last ones location but
from this I can assume its working?  Nope, an attempt to print
the web pages instructions to lp2 now shows this in the Jobs
Queue:
  lp2-1366    (stdin)    root    81k    pending since
Tue 21 Feb 2006 09:43:01 AM EST

And nothing has reached the printer yet in 5 minutes.

So how do I either fix it, or get rid of it short of a
reboot?  Or will that even do it?

Went to the printers page after reverting /etc/cups/printers.conf
and had to 'modify' all 4 printers, and when I had modified lp2,
the default, the web page print finally came off the printer, after
I'd canceled the first attempt, I'd tried another.

So obviously its still working but isn't because I should have
had to restart that job.  Or is it, me confused by now...  When
the job came off the printer, it had a header line prefixed
"eh, the backend error handler"  the b being clipped by the printer.

I guess I'm confused.  Everything is reverted, but a second copy
of that web page printout also has the header, does your web page
add that?