[cups.general] Remove Printer instance

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 21 11:17:36 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 13:47, Anonymous wrote:
>I have a USB printer that I will soon retire.
>Reading the Software User's Manual section on Removing Printer
> Instances, I see I should use the lpoptions -x, and lpadmin commands
> to remove the printer instance and print queue.
>
>I would assume that I would need to do this, then power off the
> computer, then remove the USB cable, then power up the computer.
>
>Is that correct, or is there a way to "eject" the USB device from the
> command line without powering off the computer?

USB handles its own disconnects.  And cups will, when it finds the
printer gone, disable the Queue for that printer.  And from the web
page interface at localhost:631 you can delete the printer at any time
if you have perms to do so in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.

Any jobs inadvertantly sent to that printer will sit in /var/spool/cups
till removed by hand, or you redefine another printer queue by that
same name and enable it.

Generally, rebooting of the machine is never required for this sort of
thing.