[cups.general] Re: Printing directly to an LPD device?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 23 02:49:26 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 22 13:52 Michael Sweet wrote:
> Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > I assume that it is not possible to sent a file directly to an LPD device
> > with CUPS' "lpr" without first connecting to the CUPS server.  Is that
> > assumption correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> > * If yes, what tools (for LINUX) are there to print directly to an LPD
> >   device?
>
> Download and install LPR or LPRng.

Only an addendum for completeness:

Even with CUPS it is possible to send data directly to a LPD server:
Call the CUPS backend "lpd" directly.
See "man backend" hwo to call it.
Depending whether the particular backend uses argv[0] or DEVICE_URI
by precedence to get the device URI, you may have to call it via
"exec -a device-uri /path/to/backend job-id user title copies options"
to set argv[0] or you may have to provide the environment variable.
You could make a wrapper script for the lp/lpr commands which
calls the backend "lpd" if a special parameter is set
and otherwise it calls the original lp/lpr binaries.
Note that there is no filtering if you run the backend directly.

Regarding LPR versus LPRng:
As far as I remember the old-style LPR cannot send data directly
by its lpr command, it requires always a local running lpd.
But the lpr command in LPRng can do it without a local running lpd
via "lpr -P remote-queue at remote-host ...".

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de