Native Win32 Cups Client?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 23 05:31:56 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a native Win32 Cups Client?

No, AFAIK this has not been done yet.  The closest we have is the
ESP Print Pro client for Windows, which allows a user to setup an
IPP queue from the Windows client to the CUPS server using the PPD
from the CUPS server and the CUPS Windows driver.

> There are occasions where various people (sales reps, reigional
> managers etc) plug Windows PC's into the networks at these locations.
> I would like them to automatically get a list of printers in that
> location that they could print to.

There are various technical issues to overcome, however we *are*
hopeful that we will be able to do a mini CUPS service on Windows
that listens for CUPS browse data and adds/removes the remote
queues automatically.  At this point the main issue seems to be
one of scaling - the Windows print service is not designed to
support large numbers of printers, so adding 500 printers might
bring the client system to its knees... :(