Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...never goes away

Pat H. Minatra pminatra at hsutx.edu
Thu Feb 23 07:54:10 PST 2006

> "Pat H. Minatra" wrote:
> >
> > We have just brought up a Linux Red Had 4.0 server using CUPS v.1.1.22 and are having a slight problem in that several of the print queues will have the following information AFTER printing to them:
> >
> > Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...
> >
> > This information is gotten by using the following command:
> >
> > lpstat -t | grep printer | more
> >
> > The ONLY way I have been able to make this go away is by issuing the following two commands:
> >
> > /usr/bin/disable AWDLT2
> > And then
> > /usr/bin/enable AWDLT2
> >
> > (where AWDLT2 is my print queue name).
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
> >
> > I have been unable to track anything down via the CUPS website or other searches.
> >
> > Thank you for any help.  Please feel free to respond to my email address of pminatra at hsutx.edu.
> >
> > Thanks again.  Pat H. Minatra  02.17.06
>
> This message comes from the socket backend and indicates that the socket shutdown (which is
> initiated by the backend) did not succeed within, I think, 90 seconds. I suspect that the printer
> does not behave soundly.
>
> As a workaround, you may use a backend wrapper script (see linuxprinting.org; I've forgotten the
> name of this script).
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de

Thank you Helge, I appreciate your help.

I downloaded the BEH from http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html and installed as per instructions and documentation.

I have no improvement in my situation as the queues still give the same messages and I have 'random' queues go down which I had hoped would stop this and it did not.

I would like to see if any further suggestions or solutions might be possible.

Thank you so much.

Pat H. Minatra
Pat H. Minatra - N5GJR
(325) 670-5804 voice