[cups.general] win98 to cups-raw has different output...

Andre Robitaille postmaster at ctebarter.com
Thu Feb 23 09:27:13 PST 2006

I've been working half the night trying to get a CUPS server to
exactly mirror the output of a Win98 print server.  Right now the
setup is:

Windows client with HP Laserjet 4050 PCL driver ->
samba ->
cups with raw driver ->
parallel HP Laserjet 4050

For normal Windows applications, everything seems fine, but the
problem is that we have a legacy DOS app called Tradeworks.  Most of
what Tradeworks prints is simple ASCII.  I was able to catch
something in the spool and see that uses the occasional HPPCL code
(one particular one used '2S' on every page to set the font pitch to
16.66).

With some things, like an invoice, Tradeworks prints a line border
with unusual text header, and then puts ASCII in the middle of it.
With CUPS, when I try to print something after an invoice, the
invoice graphics are still on the new page when they shouldn't be.
This did not happen in Windows.

If someone knows the full answer, that's great, but for now I'm just
trying to find out if there's an easy way to dump print jobs to a
file (or many files) so I can see exactly what Tradeworks is or is
not doing.  I figure the end solution will be to set some sort of
HPPCL reset to the printer before any job.

Thanks,
Andre