unable to setup 'raw' printers

Pat H. Minatra pminatra at hsutx.edu
Fri Feb 24 11:52:17 PST 2006

We are new to CUPS and I have spent countless hours scouring this website; the linuxprinting.org website and all the documentation that I can find.
I believe we may have a configuration/setup issue.
We are unable to setup any printer as raw.

When setting up the printer we try to set it up as raw and do not use the -m option.  When printing, we get one line of information and about six pages ejected out of the printer for the end of the print job.  The page should have around 20 lines of information.

The ONLY way I can get actual output is to use the -m option using the laserjet.ppd model file; then and only then do I actually get readable output.

The Ghostscripting is NOT working and we are at a loss as to why.  It is installed but does not get called and we are unable to find where to set what to get it called...not really clear on whether this is needed in a networked PCL printing environment.

The 'hpgltops' routine took ALL of our Linux system resources so we had to shut it down and are not using it.  As far as we know it is not needed since we are actually using PCL and no Postscript anywhere.

Any clarity or information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Have a GREAT day!

Pat H. Minatra
Abilene, TX USA