[cups.general] Re: Print file sent, waiting for printer to finish...never goes away

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 12:41:31 PST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 14:37, Pat H. Minatra wrote:

>> > Thank you Helge, I appreciate your help.
>> >
>> > I downloaded the BEH from http://www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html
>> > and installed as per instructions and documentation.
>> >
>> > I have no improvement in my situation as the queues still give the
>> > same messages and I have 'random' queues go down which I had hoped
>> > would stop this and it did not.
>> >
>> > I would like to see if any further suggestions or solutions might
>> > be possible.
>> >
>> > Thank you so much.
>> >
>> > Pat H. Minatra
>>
>> In this case, you should either
>> a) modify the socket backend accordingly,
>> or
>> b) from the wrapper, beh, kill the original backend after a certain
>> time.
>>
>> Helge
>>

>> --
>> Helge Blischke
>> Softwareentwicklung
>> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
>> http://www.srz.de
>
>It does not appear that the system is actually 'seeing' the beh.  I
> have tried settis of: beh:/0/1/60/socket://10.1.1.55:9100
>beh:/1/0/60/socket://10.1.1.55:9100

Humm, while that might be correct for your situation, thats not what I
see in the web pages formatted reports.  Mine look like:

Device URI: beh:/1/0/30/usb://EPSON/Stylus%20C82

from this machine, and from mozilla on any other machine on my network,
the title line of each printer says, when looking at
http://localhost:631:

EPSON Stylus C82 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2 on coyote

coyote being this machine and verified by just doing a test page to the
360dpi version of this printer from a copy of mozilla running by X
forwarding on the workshop box, which worked just as if I'd done it
locally.  Then I turned the printer off, sent another test page, waited
for about 3 minutes and turned the printer back on.  The test page
printed as expected. The printer is of course a usb printer, if yours
is a parport, maybe it would look like that, I don't know.  And Till's
"beh" is only installed on this machine.

A great utility Till, many thanks.

This is not involved with samba's printer sharing in any way that I'm
aware of, and I don't have samba mounting any printer shares on any of
my boxes.  Cups does it all for me here.