Modifying printer driver

Sean McBrien smcbrien at bfsec.bt.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 03:11:29 PST 2006

Guys,

We have a number of machines that have old drivers that need updated.

I use the following command from the command prompt to access the Administrator Printer Preferences for one of the printers;
runas /netonly /user:root "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /p /t3 /n \\SAMBA-SERVER\printername"

I then enter the password and the Window appears no problem, I click New driver, browse to the driver, everthing goes well until I click Finish and I get the error message 'Unable to install Xerox WorkCentre M35, Windows 2000 or XP, Intel Driver. Operation could not be completed.'

This seems to happen on all the printers on the network now. I have taken over from a guy who has left the company and have no previous experience in CUPS. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Sean McBrien