[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1411: Need ability to bypass only the pstops filter, not the rendering filter.

Ian Hutchinson hutch at psfc.mit.edu
Mon Feb 6 06:00:53 PST 2006

[STR New]

CUPS currenlty uses pstops on essentially all postscript. pstops depends on
DSC comments. Not all postscript files conform to DSC conventions. They
are not really required to. When they don't, pstops fairly often breaks
them, even though a postscript interpreter, such as ghostscript or a ps
printer can render them perfectly well.

We have the -l or -o raw switch to say apply *no* filters. But that will
work only if the destination is a postscript printer. So its usefulness is
limited.

What we need is a switch that says to skip just the pstops step, pass the
postscript file directly to the psrendering filter, which is usually gs,
and so can cope with the file even if it is not DSC conforming.

Then we could use this switch to print non-DSC postscript files in an
installation where the destination was, e.g., a non-postscript printer.

[If this ability already exists, I cannot find it in any of the
documentation, so that is certainly at least a documentation bug.]

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1411
Version: 1.1-current