postscript error

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 14 12:28:38 PST 2006

john boyden wrote:
> I've written a postscript program that has always worked
> with ghostview, any postscript printer, adobe acrobat,
> pstopdf, etc.  The astronomy department at UCLA has installed
> CUPS to keep track of the number of pages printed by the
> department as well as the other advantages of CUPS.  My
> problem is that CUPS introduces it's postscript into my
> program which causes a postscript error.  I've found a
> workaround, -o raw from linux which requires me to copy my
> postscript file to a linux computer before printing but this
> defeats the number of pages requirement.  Here is what the
> printer error looks like:
>
> ERROR: undefined
> OFFENDING COMMAND: ESPwl "ESPwl" COMMAND TYPE: nametype

More than likely your PostScript file is claiming DSC conformance
(via the "%!PS-Adobe-" header on the file) but is, in fact, not
conforming.  This isn't an issue if you are just viewing the file
or sending it straight to a low-end PS printer, but any printer or
printing system that manipulates the file will likely fail without
the DSC conformance.

If you can post a URL to a sample file, we can take a quick look and
see what is happening...