[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1438: New group concept of CUPS 1.2 seems to be broken

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Feb 23 12:56:13 PST 2006

[STR New]

I have the following user/group settings in cupsd.conf:

SystemGroup lpadmin root
Group sys
User lp

The full cupsd.conf is attached.

The group lpadmin is defined in /etc/group as follows

lpadmin:x:105:

and the group root as follows:

root:x:0:

In /etc/passwd only root has root as default group and there is no user
with lpadmin as default group.

I have compiled CUPS with settings for CUPS users and groups:

../configure --with-cups-user=lp --with-cups-group=sys
--with-system-groups="lpadmin root"

Printing works still fine, also most web interface functions, as adding a
queue, enabling, disabling, publishing, unpublishing, ... printers. Only
thing which does not work is "Set Printer Options" in the web interface.
When clicking the button the options are not shown, but only a screen with
"Error: Permission denied". I was asked for login and password when adding
the print queue, and there I have enetered "root" and the root password.

Staying with the defaults for users and groups (no user/group settings for
"./configure", no changes in cupsd.conf) the printer options can be
accessed.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1438
Version: 1.2-current