printer resolution

verdi lp030403 at libero.it
Sun Jan 1 06:46:28 PST 2006

> > verdi wrote:
> > >
> > > I am looking for an option that allow to print a document, for example a pdf one, with economy resolution mode of 360x120dpi instead of the actual 360x360dpi.
> > > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Look into your printer's PPD to see how the option is named if selectable.
> >
> > Helge
> >
> > --
> > Helge Blischke
> > Softwareentwicklung
> > SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> > http://www.srz.de
>
> If I use the file */cups/model/foomatic-ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_Color_400-stcolor.ppd
> the options concerning resolution displayed by lpoptions -l are
>
> > Resolution/Resolution: *360dpi 720dpi
>
> But if I print, for example,  with "lpr -o Resolution=720dpi abc.pdf" it prints a lot of white papers.
>
> On the other side the file */cups/model/gimp-print/4.2/escp2-400.ppd, that is for the same printer model, seems to have all the resolution options
>
> >Resolution/Resolution: 360x120dpi 360x240dpi *360mw 360mwuni 360dpi 360uni 720x360sw 720x360swuni 720mw 720mwuni 720sw 720swuni 720hq 720hquni 720hq2
>
> but in my case this escp2-400.ppd file doesn't work at all.
>
> So actually the only printer resolution that I can use is 360*360dpi.
> Thank you for any suggestion on how to use the different resolution options for printing.

I have found that I needed to install gs-esp, now I can use the escp2-400.ppd file vith the resolution of 360*120dpi. However there are also some troubles:
1) the intermediate resolution of 360*240dpi specified in the options prints a lot of white papers.
2) the resolution of 360*120dpi works, however with respect to the same resolution mode of the windows driver, there are more intermediate white lines.
3) I haven't found in the driver an option that allow the high speed printing system, i.e. the bidirectional mode( as allowed in the windows driver) that allow to print the page in half time.

Thank you for any suggestion,

Verdi