[cups.general] network printing error

Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) JimBodkins at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 12:27:21 PST 2006

Hi,

   I am trying, ultimately, to get a USB printer (HP) working on a diskless
workstation - doesnt work. So, I am testing simple networked (cups)
printing. That isnt working either. The latest error is

Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!

   The entire subnet has been allowed (cupsd.conf - I am not in front of the
system at the moment, sorry if that isnt accurate). The firewalls are all
down and the printer works 'locally'. (It is shared) It was configured with
the web interface.

   The other error that is commonly seen (under LTSP mainly, but also using
the web CUPS interface attempting network printing - test page) is

network host 'fooooooo' is busy, will retry whenever.

   I am a system programmer (too many years) and just want a printer that
works. In the unix tradition (I prefer unix to windows), the existence of an
end user that DOESNT want to know anything about some subject (network
printing) just isnt allowed. I just hate it when windows makes unix look
pathetic. I have work to do. :) (I do greatly appreciate the work of the
easysw folks and many others. I just want to 'mindlessly' install a printer
to USE - I dont care how :) ).

   Anyone seen these errors? (Dumb question) Anyone know why this happens?
(Assuming a security issue). Sorry to be a grouch, but I dont have time to
lose trying to get printers to work. Pretty basic stuff, or it should be.

JIm