[cups.general] SELinux note

Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) JimBodkins at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 09:27:56 PST 2006

.... As a note, Redhat enterprise linux (CentOS, WhiteBox and Fedora core 4 -
not 1,2,3) uses SELinux which is an additional security layer which
interferes with CUPS - I suspect. I suspect that SELinux must be disabled
for CUPS in order for networked printing to work. If this is true, I would
recommend the CUPS folks (easysw) clearly note this as it is making me nuts.
(I havent had the chance to test this yet - the network is in Phoenix and I
am in Tucson :) ). But out of the box network printing using cups just
doesnt seem to work under the mentioned OS's. I suspect SELinux security.
(This was noticed when attempting to install LTSP clients)

Jim