[cups.general] Binary data pass through

Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) JimBodkins at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 15:28:23 PST 2006

Hi,

   Under various redhat versions of Linux, there is a printer-config tool
that has a checkbox that says something like - pass unknown binary data
through to printer raw (or words to that effect). This small option doesnt
appear anywhere in any other printer config/admin tool. (foomatic-gui, xpp,
kprinter ...) It appears that this tool is proprietary. I need this
feature - badly.

   Anyone  have a clue what this checkbox actually does in terms of the
underlying printing system? (So at least I can manually duplicate the
effect).

Thanks
Jim
P.S.
There exist documents (reports) that have embedded PCL codes that change
fonts (or sizes). This is the data that is passed through raw. It works
under (CUPS) rhel, centos etc. Fails everywhere else. It failed under rh
also until this checkbox was checked. But it simply doesnt exist outside of
redhat land.