[cups.general] Binary data pass through

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 9 03:42:54 PST 2006

Hello Till,

On Jan 6 10:15 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
> It uncomments the lines starting with "application/octet-stream"
> in the end of /etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs
> In Mandriva Linux this configuration is default.

I wonder why you have it enabled by default.

It results that any binary nonsense data (e.g. Linux binaries
or *.doc files from Windows) would be sent automatically
to the printer.

If it is a normal printer which can print plain ASCII text
(e.g. a PCL or PostScript printer), the printer would normally
fall back to ASCII printing mode and print tons of sheets
with meaningless characters.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de