[cups.general] Re: Can CUPS share a printer on port 9100 ( like JetDirect )

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 9 03:53:29 PST 2006

Hello,

On Jan 8 18:22 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> thewonka wrote:
> > I have heard that cups can share a printer via port 9100 or
> > similar like JetDirect does.
>
> you can use inetd/xinetd to run the "lp" command
> when a client connects to port 9100.

I do not understand it.

If there is a local queue for the printer to which the "lp" command
can send the data which arrives at port 9100, why not use this queue
directly from the remote hosts?

If only a JetDirect printserver box should be emulated, shouldn't
it be sufficient to run via inetd/xinetd only the command
dd of=/dev/lp0
(assuming the printer is connected to the parallel port)?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de