[cups.general] Users can't pause print jobs.

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jan 10 11:18:08 PST 2006

Dominic Iadicicco wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I have been using Samba3 for about a year now and it work great along
> with CUPS as its printing backend.  I have recently discovered that my
> Windows clients cannot pause print jobs.  Windows gives an error of
> "Error Processing Command". Now I need my users to be able to pause and
> resume print jobs because of Some Patron Print management Software that
> we need to use.  Most of the research I have done has lead me to believe
> this is a CUPS issues, that's why I am emailing this list.  I could be
> wrong, I am just looking for more of an answer. Could someone please
> point me in the right direction?

Ultimately, you can't "pause" a print job with CUPS, just "hold" or
"stop" the job.

It appears that Samba is sending the "Hold-Job" operation for active
jobs, however you can't hold a job once it starts printing, just
stop it...

Please file a bug report with the Samba folks - they need to change
the current pause-job code to use a different operation.