[cups.general] Jet Direct Printer with CUPS

ashok cvs ashokcvs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 06:15:37 PST 2006

Hi all

I have Sharp Printer Model AR-161, to it A print server is connected to it's
parallel port.
i have Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Enterprise Server with cups installed. i
want to configure Print queue/ or make my Linux system as Print server and
configure samba
so that my windows clients can give print through the Linux system

I have configured CUPS like following  http://localhost:631
Add new Printer ->
Name: netprinter
Location: Office

Device: APP Socket/ HP Jetdirect
DEVICE URI : socket://192.168.129.101:9100 ( 192.168.129.101 is the ip
configured to print server connected to the Sharp Printer)
model- Sharp
Tried with the following drivers but i am unable to print
Sharp AR-161 foomatic/hpij5(en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic/lj4dith(en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic/lj5gray(en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic/ljet4(en)
Sharp AR-160 PS 1.1 (en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic + lj5gray (en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic + lj5mono (en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic + ljet4 (en)
Sharp AR-161 foomatic + pxlmono (en)

i tried with all the drivers available but still i am unable to print
i tried with command line lpadmin -p netprint -v
socket://192.168.129.101:9100 -m sharp-ar-161-pxlmono.ppd -E
/usr/bin/enable netprinter
/usr/sbin/accept netprinter

but still i am unable to print..

am i missing any thing