cups on embedded system

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jan 13 06:26:34 PST 2006

fadhel wrote:
> I have to implement a printer server on an embedded system. I took
> CUPS as a reference. I would know what are the essentiel components
> of CUPS (with the minimum memory space), i want only use usb backend,
> some filter (not all cups filters) and a HP printer. Thank you for
> help in advance.

For basic (raw) printing you just need cupsd and the backends.  If
you want to provide PostScript support for non-PS HP printers,
you'll need pstops, pstoraster (from ESP Ghostscript), and any of
the CUPS PCL drivers (rastertohp, rastertopclx, and/or Gutenprint's
rastertoprinter).

The main issue with using CUPS on embedded systems right now is that
you need a spool directory (a ram disk is fine as long as it is big
enough to hold the jobs you print).  Adding filtering support also
requires a bunch of storage space, RAM, and CPU.