[cups.general] Re: perhaps I misunderstand printer discovery

Jon LaBadie jlabadie at acm.org
Sun Jan 15 08:48:01 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> Is it possible, using some form of printer discovery, to accomplish
>> what I'm trying?
>> I.e. have each of the linux hosts print directly to the printers
>> rather than a central
>> print server?
>

> You can't do it quite automatically, but you can rsync the /etc/cups
> directory from a "master" system to each of the clients, and then
> restart cupsd if any files change.
>
> CUPS is actually designed to avoid configuring each system to talk
> to printers directly, but to have one or more server systems
> supporting one or more clients, with the clients managing their own
> list of printers and servers...

Thanks Michael,

I may revise my expectations then and use a print server.

If I try the rsync "trick", is it important that each system use the
same version of cups?  There is some small variation at the moment.

The base OS for 2 systems is RHEL 3, and the others are old, RH 7.3.
I upgraded cups on the RH 7.3 system that is presently acting as
print server.  But even that was not the most current cups version
and doesn't match the RHEL 3 cups version.