Printer stops after each Page -> very slow

stefan.huber at netzone.ch stefan.huber at netzone.ch
Wed Jan 18 06:05:51 PST 2006

Hi there

I've got some really strange behavior from the cups server in our office. When printing files from Windows through cups (over samba) everything works fine. when printing every page emerges just 2 seconds after another. (about 28 pages / min, thats what the printer is capable of)

when I do the same but through the lp command the printer just prints one page, makes a short stop, then pulls in the next page and prints it. normally it has already pulled in the second page, when the first is  emerging. this way, we get about 5 pages / min.

you see, its quite slow, but only from command line.

I just can't make out any differences. both jobs get to the same printer but in linux its slow as hell...

I've tried different ppds, several connection types (ipp and so on) and I just can't work out whats wrong, since no matter what i change, windows is always fast, linux always slow with exactly the same printer as destination (and the same configuration)

I've made 2 tests an got the debug2 logfiles for a printjob from windows and one from linux. the windows one is about 4 times longer than the linux one ( 1365 lines win and 295 lines linux)

if it's any help, I'd be glad to post them.

Usually I try to figure out problems with rtfm, googling, but this time, nothing I tried has worked :( and most people having speed problems have them the opposite direction. windows is slow an linux fast =)

I hope, theres anybody out there who knows this problem and how to solve it.

ah, by the way: the printer is a brother hl-7050n.. I used the ppd from suse cups, the one from brother and a generic one from linuxprinting.org.

thanks a lot for any suggestions or small hint. I'm desperate =)

stefan