[cups.general] print to multiple printers

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Jan 19 14:51:22 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:29:43PM -0500, Anonymous wrote:
> Have three network printers setup on cups server.
>
> Would like to add a fourth, so that if you print to it, the print job would be sent to the other three printers.
>
> How can this be done?

I don't think this can be done out of the box with CUPS

You have to write a filter or backend which will capture the print
job's datas just before they are sent to the first printer, and
requeue them to the threee other printers. See CUPS' doc for
details on how to do this.

If all printers accept the same page description language, it will be
easier to do...

<shameless plug="ON">
If you don't want to write such a filter or backend, I'd suggest
that you download Tea4CUPS from

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

or simply do it using subversion :

  svn export svn://svn.librelogiciel.com/tea4cups/trunk tea4cups

I think you'll be able to do what you want in less than 10 minutes
with the help of this software.
</shameless>

hth

Jerome Alet