Trying to understand margin adjustments

ij at w3.org ij at w3.org
Fri Jan 20 22:59:06 PST 2006

Hello,

I am having a hard time understanding how various programs are
affected by changes to a PPD file. In this case, I am using
laserjet.ppd to print to an HP 4ML. Here's what I observe:

    [Printing with]  [Left Margin]  [Effect]
    openoffice 2.0    0             Shifted right (no text lost)
    openoffice 2.0   18             Text lost in left margin
    gnome-cups-manager
    [test page]       0             Left margin correct
    [test page]      18             Left margin shifted right

In laserjet.ppd I am changing:

   *ImageableArea Letter/US Letter:        "18 36 594 756"

   *ImageableArea Letter/US Letter:        "0 36 594 756"

[I thought I had seen yet other behavior with lpr and enscript,
but I can't seem to reproduce it; I may try again tomorrow.]

In short, I would like to avoid losing text in the left-hand margin, which I don't seem to do with enscript or lpr, but do with openoffice.

Thank you for any suggestions,

 _ Ian