Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Lee C klgcstudio at tds.net
Sat Jan 21 13:49:04 PST 2006

P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner

PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)

both connected to a Belkin 4 port router

I've got netatalk and task-howl installed on my Linux box with only afpd and cnid daemons running (don't need to access Mac classic so atalkd and papd were not set to run).  This provides file sharing to the extent that with netatalk my Mac can use a shared directory on my Linux box, but not the converse.  I mention this in case it's "getting in the way."

My Epson printer is connected to my Linux box via usb and I set it up there with CUPS, and can print to it from my Linux box.

However, I can not seem to access the printer from my Mac.  I've tried all the combinations of given ip types and variations on http://192.168.2.69:631/printers/EpsonSPR300 without success.  In all cases my Mac keeps telling me "host 192.168.2.69 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds" and I've waited up to 30 Minutes.  This occurs whether the netatalk connection is open or not.

I have not tried starting the atalkd and papd daemons and accessing the printer via classic AppleTalk because I believe (from what I've read) that I should be able to use the Linux printer from my Mac with CUPS alone.

Any pointers/suggestions/whatever would be appreciated.

Sorry to bother you-all, but I've been doing the google shuffle for a couple days now and have either not found anything constructive or I'm blind :-)

Thank you,
Lee C