Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Jan 22 00:04:37 PST 2006

> P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
> Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner
>
> PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)
>
> both connected to a Belkin 4 port router
>   <snip>

Well, by burying myself in the CUPS tomes, I made some changes to cupsd.conf network options (HostNameLookups,  Browsing,  BrowseProtocals, BrowseAddress and Allow) on the Linux side and I now see my Linux printer in my Mac CUPS Administration and in print dialog on my Mac.  i.e. I don't have to define the printer again on the Mac side - duh.

Great :-) but I can't actually print to it :-()

The issue is something that I wondered about (and commented on) early on.  On my Mac I see the printer EpsonSPR300 at debian1 but my Mac can't actually print to it because my Mac (via my router) can't resolve the hostname "debian1."

When I first put up Debian on the P4, I noticed that where my Mac sets a hostname with its local address on my Belkin router, the Linux box leaves the hostname blank on my Belkin router.  My router does have the Linux box represented as an address (192.168.2.48), but no hostname.

When the printer was attached to my Mac I could print to it from my Linux box it because the Mac hostname (pmacg5) could be resolved by the router, but now that the printer is attached to my Linux box (and working there) I can't print to it from my Mac because it can't resolve the Linux box hostname (debian1)  :-((((   I had a strong feeling this hostname issue would come back to bite me %-\

So, whats to do?  Preferably I'd really appreciate some help in getting Debian to post its hostname on the router like my Mac does.  If that can't be done at the moment, then I would appreciate some help in getting my Mac to resolve the Linux box hostname to an address (192.168.2.48).

Sorry to be such a bother, but all my research has brought me back to the one issue I could not find an answer for when first installing Debian on my P4.

Thank you for your patience, Lee C
"Life is judged with all the blindness of life itself." -- George Santayana
(see Backup::Restore article  http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html  )
(see Artworks sampling  http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Artworks.pdf  )