Sharing Linux printer with Mac

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Jan 23 01:05:24 PST 2006

A recap and progress update so anyone interested can get a quicker picture:

I have CUPS browsing on on the Linux box and I can see the Linux printer from the CUPS interface (even see it in app print dialog) on my Mac. Trying to print anything though first resulted in my Mac saying it can't can't resolve the hostname.

(I made changes to cupsd.conf network options (HostNameLookups, Browsing, BrowseProtocals, BrowseAddress and Allow) on the Linux side)

I added
send host-name "debian1";
to /etc/dhclient.conf on the Linux so it now posts its hostname to the router.

On my Mac I also added
192.168.2.48 debian1
to /etc/hosts. To make sure such got completely "into" the system I booted from another volume and cleared the caches on my working volume, repaired permissions, verified the volume (and even double checked it with DiskWarrior to make sure I didn't screw anything up). Then I rebooted to my working volume and rebooted the Linux box.

If I try to print to the shared printer, my Mac still says it can't resolve the host for printer EpsonSPR300 at debian1

I've also tried creating a printer on my Mac that points to the Linux printer (tried http, ipp and lpr) and with Printer Sharing on or off, I get "host 192.168.2.48 is busy - will try again in 30 seconds." 8-P (I pointed at xxx://192.168.2.48:631/printers/EpsonSPR300)

I'm not sure where to turn from here - Maybe I'll start the netatalk "Mac Classic" daemons (atalkd and papd) on the Linux side and try to print to it with AppleTalk. Something I really don't want to do because I don't need the Classic daemons otherwise and from everything I've read I should be able to share the printer with CUPS alone.

I'm increasingly aware of one reason I retired :-)))

Thanks for your interest,
Lee C

Still investigating and trying to make sure I'm doing things right in CUPS.  I made even more changes to cupsd.conf until I could not even use CUPS on my Linux box %-\ so I rolled back to where I was above.

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some of Apple's tinkering with CUPS on the Mac.  Is there anyone out there that is successfully sharing a printer on a *nix box with a Mac (I know - *nix also but with Apple's tinkering)?

Is there any CUPS guru that might give me an idea of what to look for in the Linux and Mac CUPS configuration.  I'm reading the CUPS tomes but not making a lot of progress.

Of course, if this is just a MAC DN resolver issue then I don't want to waste your time :-)

Thanks,
Lee C