Raw printing via IPP

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jan 24 03:11:20 PST 2006

paulthompson at orange.net wrote:

> I have a new Laserjet 1022 that is attached to a LINUX (SuSE 8.1) server and
> I'm trying to print to it using IPP. The setup works perfectly if I use a
> Windows Laserjet 6L printer driver.
>
> I have recently tried to use the supplied Laserjet 1022 printer driver. It
> sends raw data over the network which cups must recognise as such and send
> unmodified to the printer.
>
> I have uncommented the octet-stream lines in mime.convs and mime.types per
> manual:
>
> ie. /etc/cups/mime.types:
> #application/octet-stream
>
> /etc/cups/mime.convs:
> #application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0      -
>
> The problem I am now getting is that CUPS is failing to recognise the '-' as a
> simple pass-thru filter and trying to run a filter program. I get a 'Unable to
> convert file 0 to printable format for job ...' error.
>
> If I change the '-' in mime.convs to another filter I can see that program
> being executed in the error_log (it of course fails as the format doesn't
> match) so it is correctly assessing the input coming over the internet as
> octet-stream and trying to convert it into raw. Basically, it seems that CUPS
> is failing to recognise the '-' as the special pass-thru filter.
>
> If I intercept the spooled file on the LINUX server I can successful force it
> to print with a 'lp -o raw <file>' command, so the Windows computer is sending
> the LINUX computer the right data. However if I try just 'lp <file>' I get the
> same message as above.
>
> As I understand CUPS, it should work. I know that the are other methods of
> printing (eg. sending postscript to CUPS and letting CUPS convert it to
> suitable PCL, using a more simple PCL driver such as the LJ 6L one, or using
> Samba) but the above should work and enable every Windows client to use the
> full features of the printer driver.
>
> I'm running CUPS v1.1.15
>
> If anyone has any ideas, then thanks
>
> Paul Thompson

Well, one thing is that 1.1.15 is quite old, a lot of things has been changed since then.
But anyway, please post an URL to your "driver" (I guess you mean the printer's PPD) and
an URL to a sample file. Without detailed information I cannot give any advice.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung