CUPS movin' kinda slow...

mgende at gendesign.com mgende at gendesign.com
Tue Jan 24 14:14:21 PST 2006

Hello There,

Hey, we've been having a problem with CUPS. Here's a little background:
OP SYS: Fedora Core 4
CUPS Version: cups-1.1.23-15
Kernel: 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4smp
How Printers were Added: Gnome Printer Config Tool
Printer Types: Mostly Raw, a few Brother Laser Printers for PDFs.
Computer: Dual Xeon with 12 gig o' RAM (grossly underutilized).

We've 100 or so printers going on a print server. Most are just raw, text printers. All are printing what they should, PDF and/or raw text.

Our only problem is the looooooooooong time between issuing a print command and the printing actually taking place. Up to a minute for a few lines of text.

Done a lot of reading but still stumped. Ideas? They'd be most appreciated.

Mike G.