[cups.general] locale problem

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jan 25 05:39:53 PST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:29:15AM -0500, Helge Blischke wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed something strange writing a CUPS backend.
> >
> > I've got a CUPS 1.1.23 print server to which I print from linux
> > boxes and windows boxes. The windows boxes print directly to
> > http://myserver:631/printers/myqueue through the printer's native
> > windows drivers.
> >
> > Since I'm french, all the clients are configured for french language.
> >
> > If I print from linux, then CUPS correctly detects my locale and my
> > backend uses the french locale.
> >
> > But if I print from Windows, then the locale seems to be incorrect
> > because my backend doesn't use the french locale.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Jerome Alet
>
> Look into the cxxxx file (which contains the job attributes) in both cases -
> when printing from Linux and from Windows, and look for the natural-language attributes.
> Maybe the Win one does not supĆ¼ly the correct setting ot the attribute at all.
> Isn't it that Winxx only supports IPP 1.0 ?

After parsing the different cxxxx files, it appears that (again)
you are perfectly right !

In cxxxxx files created after printing from a windows (2KSP4) box :

        IPP version : 1.0
        Operation attributes :
                attributes-charset : ('charset', 'utf-8')
                attributes-natural-language : ('naturalLanguage', 'en-us')

In cxxxxx files created after printing from a *nix box :

        IPP version : 1.1
        Operation attributes :
                attributes-charset : ('charset', 'iso-8859-15')
                attributes-natural-language : ('naturalLanguage', 'fr')

Thanks for your help !

bye

Jerome Alet