Legacy program printing epson FX emulation

Dave Dubreuil cups at truecomputingsolutions.com
Wed Jan 25 09:41:09 PST 2006

Should this work for feeding to the top of the next sheet, or would it feed the paper a form's length from where it stops printing?  Would it depend on the printer?

I tested with this script on a raven 24-pin printer, and it seems to feed a forms length, not to the top of the next sheet.

#! /bin/bash
cat -
echo -en "\f"

I executed the test with ls | ./printstuff | lpr

What does this line do [ -n "$6" ] && exec <"$6" ?

What is it that LPD does differently from CUPS that it knows how to feed the sheet a certain number of lines?  Is CUPS designed to only print by processing print jobs to PS?  I understand that RAW is RAW, but is there not a way to input text to a queue and have it processed and printed as pages of text?  From reading old posts, many people seem to want to print logs, etc to line printers without having to rasterize the text.  Maybe I am missing the point somewhere.

Thanks again, I hope I haven't used any terms incorrectly, please correct me if I have.
Dave.