[cups.general] Zero Page Documents (DCTDecodeFilter Error)

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jan 26 08:17:01 PST 2006

Paul Ortman wrote:

> I have a situation where certain print jobs from a OS X Tiger computer
> get started to be sent to the printer but are prematurely truncated
> because of a DCTDecodeFilter error.  I believe the relevant segment from
> the CUPS error log is :
>
> D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: %%[ Error: ioerror;
> OffendingCommand: image; ErrorInfo: DCTDecodeFilter A
> D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: C Huffman table: for
> magnitude category 0, value must be 0 or 15 ]%%<0D>
> D [25/Jan/2006:13:27:36 -0500] [Job 7563] DATA: <0A>%%[ Flushing: rest
> of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%<0D>
>
> The full log (at debug level) can be found in my webspace [1].
>
> The original PDF as printed from the OSX box is available [2], as are
> the jobs [3][4] as saved by turning on PreserveJobs in cupsd.conf.
>
> Some versions:
>
> OS X 10.4.4
> CUPS: cups-1.1.23-r7 on a Gentoo box
> I have hand compiled the pdftops filter for cups from the official
> 1.1.23 tarball instead of using the perl script that Gentoo uses.
>
> I'm using Pykota for print accounting although that seems to work
> without a hitch.
>
> The behavior of the printer is to simply get some data but never kick
> out a page, and thus the job gets recorded as a zero page job.
>
> I guess I'm wondering if this is a bug or something else.  If there is
> something else I can provide, please let me know.
>
> This was originally uncovered when attempting to print from Safari, but
> I was able to generate a PDF on the OSX box and attempting to print that
> from Preview gave the same result as from Safari.  This seems to me to
> be a problem with CUPS on the Linux box, but I'm not really sure where
> to go next.
>
> Thanks in advance for any light someone could shed on this problem.
>
> [1]
> http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/zerooutput_cups_error_log.txt
> [2] http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/zero-output.pdf
> [3] http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/c07563
> [4] http://www.goshen.edu/~portman/Zerooutput_bug/d07563-001
>
> - --
> Paul Ortman
>
> PGP Key: 55602C81
> - --

Both PDFs are OK, though the PDF [4] is 8 bytes bigger than [2], but that might be due to
the CUPS implementation in Tiger.

The error messages come from the printer itself (via the backchannel handler of the socket
backend). I tested the PDF with some printers at our site and got the same error message as you
on a HP 5000 printer (PostScript level 2, not an Adobe RIP); the other level2 and level 3 printers
I tested it on printed the file OK.

At the bottom line: it is an issue of the printer you used. If you can't get a firmware update,
you only can buy another printer.

Sorry,

Helge

--