Using syslog

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Fri Jan 27 10:54:32 PST 2006

> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'm setting a test CUPS server to use syslog for all CUPS-related
> > messages. I've not been able to get it to work.
> >
> > In my CUPS server, I specified syslog to log all messages.
> >
> > localhost# grep syslog cupsd.conf
> > AccessLog syslog
> > ErrorLog syslog
> > PageLog syslog
> >
> > Since I did not specify a facility, I'm guessing it defaults
> > to local7 id.

> Nope, we use the LPR facility.

Okay, I seem to have done it correctly the first time. Except that
cups.log file I was expecting to be used was not being populated. It
turned out that in my configuration directory, /etc/opt/TWWfsw/cups1123, a syslog file was automatically
created and all CUPS-related messages was entered.

It seems that adding an entry for CUPS into the syslog.conf file, in
this case "lpr.debug /var/log/cups.log" is ignored.

Is that how error logging in CUPS work with syslog, it creates its
log file in the configuration directory? If I want to route the
messages to a log server(lpr.debug   @loghost), which I intend to do
for our production, how am I supposed to configure it if the
syslog.conf file is being ignored?

Any ideas or suggestion is much appreciated. :)

Thanks!
Angel