Using syslog

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Sun Jan 29 07:48:07 PST 2006

> Did you restart syslogd after making the changes?

I've stopped and restarted syslog and cupsd several times. I'd like to
mention that I'm using an AIX system for my test CUPS server. I also
configured another system, Solaris, as CUPS server to use syslog but
both servers reacted the same; the syslog file remains in the CUPS
configuration directory and the file directive in syslog.conf remains
emtpy. I know syslog is configured correctly in both systems since the
other facilities are logging correctly.

My two production CUPS servers are running under RHEL ES3 so different
environments from my test systems above.

Since I don't want to mess around with our production system, I decided
to do the syslog test using my own home CUPS server. Surpringly, or not
it works. My CUPS server at home is running under RH FC3.

I now know syslog and CUPS work correctly in a Linux system but it
doesn't in an AIX or Solaris system. So, is this a syslog issue or is
it CUPS?

Can anyone else test syslog and CUPS in either AIX and SOLARIS and see
if the result is the same?

Thanks!
Angel