Using syslog

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Sun Jan 29 08:24:25 PST 2006

> > I've stopped and restarted syslog and cupsd several times. I'd like to
> > mention that I'm using an AIX system for my test CUPS server. I also
> > configured another system, Solaris, as CUPS server to use syslog but
> > both servers reacted the same; the syslog file remains in the CUPS
> > configuration directory and the file directive in syslog.conf remains
> > emtpy. I know syslog is configured correctly in both systems since the
> > other facilities are logging correctly.
> >
> > My two production CUPS servers are running under RHEL ES3 so different
> > environments from my test systems above.
> >
> > Since I don't want to mess around with our production system, I decided
> > to do the syslog test using my own home CUPS server. Surpringly, or not
> > it works. My CUPS server at home is running under RH FC3.
> >
> > I now know syslog and CUPS work correctly in a Linux system but it
> > doesn't in an AIX or Solaris system. So, is this a syslog issue or is
> > it CUPS?
> >
> > Can anyone else test syslog and CUPS in either AIX and SOLARIS and see
> > if the result is the same?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Angel

> On Solaris, you need to send the syslogd a HUP signal in order to force
> syslogd to re-read the syslog.conf file.
>
> Helge

There are several ways to refresh syslog but to answer your question, yes, I've stop and restarted syslog and it's working just fine.

Are you telling me that you have a CUPS server running in Solaris and
it's working correctly with syslog? If so, can you please post your
syslog and cupsd config? Just the entries related to CUPS will do.

Thanks!
Angel