Remote Administration

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Jan 30 11:24:19 PST 2006

> [...]
> >
> > So I tried from another PC on the same network
> > http://name:631 or http://192.168.123.xxx:631 Permission Access denied
> >
> > Editted the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on the alpha.
> >
> > Changes in file
> >
> > <Location /admin>
> > #
> > # You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions.
> > # The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
> > # is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
> > # the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
> > #
> >
> > AuthType Basic
> > AuthClass System
> >
> > ## Restrict access to local domain
> > Order Deny,Allow
> > #Deny From All
> > Allow From 127.0.0.1
> > Allow From 192.168.123.192
> >
> > -------
> >
> > Any Help would be gratefully received because once This problem is solved. I have many others questions but I would to tackle the problems one by one  so That I hopefully will learn from the experience. So far It has been a very frustrating experience, many days of googling but still not working. I have used linux several years ago (Slackware 3.0 & 4.0) managed to get the local printers working correctly. I can still get the local printer working using LPD but eventually I would like to get a remote printer on a router working.
> >
> > I thought of just commenting out the under restrict access but to make it more sure I added the line
> > Allow From 192.168.123.192
> >
> > Restarted the daemon
> >
> > /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
> >
> > (not as the cups manual stated /etc/init.d/cups restart)
> >
> > But still I cannot access from the remote PC
> >
> > Forbidden
> > You don't have permission to access this resource
> >
> > What Am I doing wrong or missing. Is the problem as simple that the remote is sending the remote root and password combination and of the the password is different?
> >

> > Best Wishes
> >
> > Jim R.
> >

> Hi All,
>
> Just an update. By commenting out the deny all see attached stripped cupsd.conf file I was able to get access to the daemon remotely. I will try adding back until it fails again.
>

> DefaultCharset notused
> LogLevel info
> Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> </Location>
> <Location /jobs>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthClass User
> </Location>
> <Location /admin>
> </Location>
>
> I thought that I tried this before and it did not work, but now it does. Any comments about the changes.

Thanks for the information in your forums, I have been the parallel thread port631 Forbidden. So information given there has meant that I have made some changes to my cupsd.conf file and now I can do remote admin from one of the PCs on my network.

My current file is as follows:-

DefaultCharset notused
LogLevel info
Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.123.192
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /jobs>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass User
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.123.192
</Location>

>From the way that I got it to work
1) you need to open access to all of the local intranet in the section <Location />
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

Then 2) Restrict the access for admin in the section <Location /admin>

Unfortunately that was not the way that I was interpretating the manual, I was reading <location> was general use  and <location /admin> was administrator use only, did not need the setup in general as well.

In the Manual page 122
Heading

I Can't Do Adminstration Tasks from another Machine!

it says comment out the lines in the /admin location. It does NOT mention the general location.

Also the Restart of the CUPS server would be good to be referenced page in the PDF version. The HTML versioned may linked but the PDF version is not. In the appropriate section, it mentions possible startup but not the one valid for Debian, ie

/etc/init.d/cupsys restart

I would appreciate Feedback on these general comments

Now onto the other problems:-
Updating on Corel linux and remote printing on a printer directly attached to the router (GVC router). To which I will start seperate threads.

Best Wishes

Jim R.