Two issues: one annoying, one confusing

Brady Adams adams at SPAMFREEtacc.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 31 15:00:17 PST 2006

The web interface still allows you to have access to the print drivers  you want to use regardless of who provides them.  Just follow this process:

1. Get the drivers you need for the printer.  I generally get the Windows drivers since those are generally the most tuned and best supported.
2. After extracting the files you downloaded, copy the PPD file to the directory /usr/share/cups/model.  This may be different based on your distribution of Linux, but this is the directory Redhat uses for its Enterprise editions as well as Fedora.
3. Restart the CUPS daemon ("service cups restart" in Redhat).
4. Now login to your web interface.  Go through the add printer process and you will see the manufacturer listed for the driver(s) you just added.  Once you choose that, the model of the printer(s) you are adding will be listed.

Do your best not to use the system-config-printer utility.  it breaks a whole lot more than it fixes.

Brady