trouble printing many PDFs

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at temp01.nccom.com
Tue Jan 31 17:25:47 PST 2006

The biggest problem we have is with PDFs.  I'd say that close to 20% of the PDFs we try printing just won't print.

The logs show the job went through, and the data light on the printer flashes for several seconds, but then it stops flashing and nothing ever prints.

We have the same results whether it's being printed from Preview under OS X or acroread under Solaris, and it doesn't matter whether we try printing to our Ricoh or HP printer, so that would seem to leave only CUPS.

I just tried upgrading from 1.1.20 to 1.1.23, but that didn't help.

The full debug log for one such failed job is at http://tokyojim.com/cupslog-20060131

Any ideas?

Thanks...