[cups.general] trouble printing many PDFs

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Tue Jan 31 19:45:50 PST 2006

> The biggest problem we have is with PDFs.  I'd say that close to 20% of the PDFs we try printing just won't print.

Been there, done that.
This was a great mystery on our printer at the LAB, and the only saving
grace was that MS Windows had the same problem ;-)

My HP4M+ was a bit kinder than the printer at the office, it actually
prints an 'error' sheet.

And the answer:-
The PDF is asking for a FONT that doesnt exist on your printer.

Why there isnt some error indication from CUPS, I havent a clue.

Im not sure what to do about that, perhaps turn the printer off, catch
the Postscript, and edit it to change the font, but that's UGLY...

Anyone have a better solution???

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com