PCL Driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jan 6 07:57:26 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am developing a PCL driver usring cups ddk. How do implement the
>>> features like scaling and halftoning.
>>>
>>>      I need to provide these options in the CUPS web interface.
>>> The scaling option should be in percentage. And halftoning
>>> would be 1. Patterned grays,
>>>          2. Diffused Grays and
>>>          3. Solid Black and white.
>>> What are the thing that are needed to be done to provide these options
>>> in the web interface.
>> They need to be options in the PPD file, and then they'll show up
>> in the web interface (and any other interface that uses the PPD file)
>>
>> --
>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com
>
> Thanks for the help but what i need to know is where should i imple ment these features, is it the rastertopclx filter or somewhere else
> Scaling, negative printing and haftone options dont work by only providing them in the PPD file.
> also "lp -o scaling=<percent> <filename>" doesent work how do i make it work.

That's beyond the scope of PPD files, or support on the free forums
for that matter.

"scaling" is a standard option, but it only applies to *image* files.
That's why you'll find it documented under the "image options" section
of the SUM.  If you try to scale a PostScript file, for example, it
will do nothing.

Negative printing and halftone options may be implemented either as
straight PostScript code or in the filter, in which case you'd need
to modify the rastertopclx code.